This Reserve Force Infantry unit is based out of
Area: Land Force Central Area
Brigade: 33 Canadian Brigade Group
Join Our UnitBelleville Armoury
187 Pinnacle St
Belleville, OntarioK8N 3A5
The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment headquartered in Belleville, Ontario, with companies in Peterborough and Cobourg.
The regiment traces its roots back to the 1st Regiment of Prince Edward Militia, formed in 1800 and the 1st Regiment of Hastings Militia formed in 1804 by United Empire Loyalists who settled in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties. Both these regiments served in the War of 1812 and the Rebellion of 1837-38.
In the 1860s independent infantry companies were raised to respond to the Fenians. A number of these companies were gathered in Belleville, forming the 15th Argyllshire Light Infantry in 1863. That same year, the 1st Prince Edward became the 16th Battalion of Volunteer Militia, and then the 16th Prince Edward Battalion of Infantry in 1867. In 1866, the 1st Hastings became the 49th Regiment (Hastings Rifles). In 1885 the 15th Argyll saw service during the Northwest Rebellion, earning the regiment's first battle honour.
The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment was formed in 1920 from the units mentioned above.
Although the regiment did not exist as a unit during the First World War, it perpetuates the battle honours of several battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force that formed it.
The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment went to Europe during the Second World War. The regiment saw service in the Allied invasion of Sicily, the Italian Campaign, the Battle of France and the liberation of The Netherlands from the German Army. The regiment distinguished itself in the war by being awarded more Battle Honours than any other Canadian regiment. Most notably is, Assoro, a single unit action.