The Royal Regina Rifles
The Royal Regina Rifles is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Forces. The regiment was nicknamed “
The Johns” during World War II because of the high proportion of “Farmer Johns” in its ranks.
Prior to 1982 the regiment was known as The Regina Rifle Regiment. In 1982, Queen Elizabeth II awarded the title “
Royal” to the Regiment, and appointed the Princess Royal, Princess Anne, as its Colonel-in-Chief. Members of the Royal Regina Rifles have served in various overseas missions in Cyprus, the Golan Heights, Croatia, Bosnia, and Afghanistan.
Join Our Unit
We train on Tuesday evenings 7 - 10 pm. The Army Reserve is the part-time component of the Canadian Army. Most Army reservists work part-time for the Army and full-time at their civilian job. Others are full or part-time students. The Army Reserve has three main roles:
- Provide the framework for mobilization or expansion by using existing Reserve units framework should the nation ever need to respond to a large crisis or an emergency
- Connect with Canadians by strengthening the ties the Canadian Army Reserve has with local communities
- Augment the full-time Army by providing soldiers, units or specialists.
The Army Reserve is progressively more active than it has been in years with an increased operational role in the Canadian contribution towards the maintenance of peace and stability in the world.
To apply you must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:
- Canadian Citizen 16 years of age (with parental consent)
- Minimum Grade 10 education (or higher depending on entry plan).
If you meet that, your first step is to decide what type of soldier you want to be. To find out which Reserve unit is closest to you contact your nearest Canadian Army Reserve Recruiting Office.
CALL 1-866-GO-2-ARMY or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Canadian Armed Forces or to apply online visit FORCES.CA.
- Commanding Officer: Lieutenant-Colonel C.V. Sattler, CD
- Sergeant Major: Master Warrant Officer S.P. Zess
Honorary Colonel R.J. Dumur
Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel R.C.D. Brooks
The Royal Regina Rifles originated in Regina, Saskatchewan on July 3,1905, when a regiment of infantry in the districts of Assiniboia and Saskatchewan was authorized to be formed. It was redesignated the 95th Regiment on April 2, 1907, and it became a rifle regiment on May 1, 1908.
Continue reading: The Royal Regina Rifles History.
For information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army visit our Equipment page.
The Royal Regina Rifles
Regina Garrison Armoury
Recruiting Office: (306) 347-9301
Chief Clerk: (306) 347-9300 x 6505
Switchboard: (306) 347-9300
- Date modified: