The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)

Unit Identificaton

The Prince Edward Island Regiment Badge

PARVA SUB INGENTI -- The small under the protection of the great

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) is a Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment of the Canadian Forces, 5th Canadian Division, 36 Canadian Brigade Group. The regiment is based in Charlottetown and Summerside.

The Armoured Reconnaissance is the eyes and ears of the advancing friendly forces. Usually deployed 5 - 50 km in front of the main body. Their primary role is to obtain accurate information on the enemy and the ground in all phases of war and pass it back quickly to the higher command. Trained in observation and surveillance, Rec officers are given the freedom to use their initative and training to execute this task, normally while leading groups of 3 - 21 people.

Related Links

Reserve Jobs

Command Team

Commanding Officer - Lieutenant-Colonel M.G. Moriarity, CD

Sergeant-Major - Chief Warrant Officer W.J. Crabb, MMM, MSM, CD

Our History

Prince Edward Island was discovered in 1534 by Jacques Cartier. The Island's military history dates back to 1720, when 30 soldiers protected 300 French colonists at Port LaJoie, now Charlottetown. After the French surrender of the Fortress of Louisbourg in 1758, the Island fell under British control. Most of its Acadien inhabitants were subsequently deported. In 1769 St. Johns Island became a separate province from Nova Scotia, and was renamed Prince Edward Island in 1799.

In 1780 the Island's first Militia act was passed by the general assembly of the Island of St Johns. It stipulated that the Island's inhabitants should be well armed and properly trained to defend themselves. A Militia is an army composed of citizens, rather than professional soldiers. It is designed to be called out only in times of emergency. All Militia men had to provide their own uniform of accepted local pattern, but were armed at Government cost. They trained once a year, and by 1829 there were 5400 men, forming many localized units spread out over a number of Island communities.

Shortly after Prince Edward Island joined Confederation in 1873, the Canada Militia Act of 1875 reorganized all Militia units.

Continue reading about The Prince Edward Island Regiment.

Join Our Unit

If you are interested in joining The Prince Edward Island Regiment please contact our recruiting office at 902-569-9539 or visit the Canadian Forces recruiting website.

When We Train

The Prince Edward Island Regiment trains from September through to June on Thursday evenings (7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.) and one weekend per month.


For more information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army, visit our Equipment page.

Contact Us

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)
Queen Charlotte Armouries
88 Watts Ave
Charlottetown, PE C1E 2C1
Phone: 902-368-0108



Date modified: