The Fort Garry Horse

Unit Information

The Fort Garry Horse Badge

FACTA NON VERBA 
Deeds not words

The Fort Garry Horse is an Armoured Reconnaissance unit in the Canadian Army Reserve based at McGregor Armoury in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

As an Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment, part of 38 Canadian Brigade Group, our role is to provide accurate tactical information on the enemy and ground to the Brigade. To do this we use light, highly mobile vehicles in conjunction with communications and surveillance equipment.

Join our Unit

We train on Tuesday evenings 7 - 10 pm. The Army Reserve is the part-time component of the Canadian Army. Most Army reservists work part-time for the Army and full-time at their civilian job. Others are full or part-time students. The Army Reserve has three main roles:

  • Provide the framework for mobilization or expansion by using existing Reserve units framework should the nation ever need to respond to a large crisis or an emergency
  • Connect with Canadians by strengthening the ties the Canadian Army Reserve has with local communities
  • Augment the full-time Army by providing soldiers, units or specialists.

The Army Reserve is progressively more active than it has been in years with an increased operational role in the Canadian contribution towards the maintenance of peace and stability in the world.

To apply you must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:

  • Canadian Citizen 16 years of age (with parental consent)
  • Minimum Grade 10 education (or higher depending on entry plan)

For more information call 1-866-GO-2-ARMY or email 38cbgrecruiting@forces.gc.ca.

For information about the Canadian Armed Forces or to apply online visit FORCES.CA.

Related Links

Command Team

  • Commanding Officer: : Lieutenant-Colonel D.R. Koltun, CD
  • Sergeant Major: : Chief Warrant Officer R.C. Jones, CD

Honorary Colonel

Honorary Colonel B.M. Hastings

Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel

Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel R.R. Williams

History

The Fort Garry Horse originated in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 15 April 1912, when the 34th Regiment of Cavalry was authorized to be formed. In October 1958, a new Regular regiment of the Fort Garry Horse was formed at Camp Petawawa, Ontario. Equipped with the Centurion tank, the regiment served in Germany from 1962 to 1965. The regiment then moved to Calgary where it remained until it was deactivated in 1970.The Militia Regiment gave up its Shermans in 1969 and has served as a reconnaissance regiment ever since, using vehicles such as the M38 jeep, the Iltis and the G-Wagon.

Continue reading: The Fort Garry Horse History.

Equipment

We use Mercedes Benz G Wagon LUVW scout cars.

Contact Us

The Fort Garry Horse
551 Machray Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
R2W 1A8

Phone: (204) 833-2705

Date modified: