7th Toronto Regiment, RCA - History

Our History

The 7th Toronto Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery, traces its roots back to the Volunteer Incorporated Artillery Company formed in 1813 under the command of Captain Alexander Cameron. Renamed the 1st Toronto Artillery Company, this unit put an end to the Upper Canada Rebellion on December 5th, 1837 when, under the command of Major T. Carfrae, the company fired several cannonballs through the roof of Toronto's Montgomery's Tavern. The 1855 Militia Act redesignated the company as the Toronto Field Battery, which became the 9th "Toronto" Field Battery in 1895.

In the First World War, 9th Battery fought as part of the 1st Canadian Division until 1917 when it was transferred to the 4th Canadian Division. The 15th, 30th, and 53rd batteries were formed in Toronto in 1916 and were assigned to the 2nd, 3rd and 5th Divisions respectively. Thus, Toronto gunners were represented in all First World War Canadian divisions, and in all the major battles of the latter part of the war on the Western Front, including Passchendaele, Vimy, and Amiens.

The 7th Toronto Regiment, Canadian Artillery, was created on March 15, 1935, comprising both the 3rd Field Brigade (9th, 15th, 30th, and 53rd batteries) and the 4th Medium Brigade. The new name would change slightly on June 3 of that year when the Canadian Artillery became the Royal Canadian Artillery.

During the Second World War, the Regiment's 9 Battery and 15 Battery both served with the famous 8th Army in the Italian campaign: 9 Battery as part of the 11th Army Field Regiment in 1st Canadian Army Group Royal Artillery (AGRA) and 15 Battery in the 7th Anti-tank Regiment in 1st Canadian Corps. In 1944, 11th Army Field was renamed 11th Field and given the task of providing close support for the newly formed 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade, part of the Canadian 5th Armoured Division. Both batteries joined 1st Canadian Army in Northwest Europe in 1945, and ended the war "with trails down" on German soil. Throughout the Second World War, the 7th Toronto Regiment remained as a Reserve regiment in Toronto to recruit and train replacements for the batteries overseas.

In May of 1951, 209 Battery was mobilized from 9 Battery to be part of 79th Field Regiment supporting the 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade -- Canada's contribution to the new NATO forces then being stationed in Europe. Subsequently, 79th Field became the 3rd Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, and served in Korea from May to November, 1954. Toronto's other postwar Reserve artillery units -- 42nd Medium, 1st Locating and 29th Field Regiments -- were amalgamated with 7th Toronto in 1965.

Members of the Regiment have served on United Nations peacekeeping operations in Cyprus, and most recently with NATO forces in Bosnia and Afghanistan. The unit traditionally fires the 21-gun salutes in Queen's Park, Toronto, on Victoria, Remembrance and Canada Days.

More history on The 7th Toronto Regiment, RCA can be found on the History and Heritage website.

Date modified: