56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA - History

Our History

The 56th Field Artillery Regiment has its beginning with the 10th Battery, formed on December 6th, 1861 as the Volunteer Militia Field Battery of Artillery of Port Colborne. Another element, the 32nd Battery, C. F. A. was formed in April 1912.

In the First World War, the 10th Battery was part of the 3rd Brigade of the First Division. The 32nd Battery formed the nucleus of the 13th Battery of the 4th Brigade of the Second Division. Both batteries later became part of the Fourth Division.

In February 1920, the 10th Battery was re-designated the 10th (St. Catharines) Battery C. F. A. and the 32nd was re-designated as the 54th Battery, C. F. A. on February 2nd, 1920. On the same date in 1920, the 69th Battery, C. F. A. was authorized but organization was held in abeyance until December 1st, 1937.

In the Second World War, the 10th Battery (St. Catharines) was part of the 2nd Field Regiment in the First Division. The 54th Battery was first part of 1 RCHA then the 2nd Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment of the First Division. The 69th Battery formed part of the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment in the Third Division.

The 56th Field Artillery Regiment was officially formed in Brantford, Ontario on April 1st, 1946 as the "56th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA" and consisted of the 54th, 69th, and 169th Light Anti-Aircraft Batteries.

In October 1954, the Regiment and its three batteries amalgamated with the 25th Medium Regiment (Norfolk Regiment), RCA, 41st and 42nd Medium Batteries, RCA, to form 56th Field Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA.

On April 1st, 1970, the Regiment amalgamated with the 57th Field Artillery Regiment (2nd/10th Dragoons), RCA, 10th, 171st and 172nd Field Artillery Batteries, RCA, to form the 56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA with 10th, 54th and 69th Field Artillery Batteries, RCA, located in St. Catharines, Brantford and Simcoe respectively.

More history on 56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA can be found on the History and Heritage website.

Date modified: