38 Combat Engineer Regiment
38 Combat Engineer Regiment is a unit part of 38 Canadian Brigade Group, which is part of the Canadian Forces Primary Reserve. 38 CER is composed of:
- 31 Engineer Squadron (31 ES) in Winnipeg
- 46 Engineer Squadron (46 ES) in Saskatoon
Combat Engineers are members of the Military Engineer branch of the Canadian Forces. Their job is to ensure that friendly troops can live, move and fight on the battlefield, and deny the same abilities to enemy troops. They also perform duties in aid of the civil power and civil authority; participate in peace-support operations; perform construction and maintenance tasks in support of the CF and other government organizations; drive and operate vehicles and equipment in support of Engineer Operations; and maintain field installations and facilities.
Join Our Unit
We train on Tuesday evenings, 7 - 10 pm. The Army Reserve is the part-time component of the Canadian Army. Most Army reservists work part-time for the Army and full-time at their civilian job. Others are full or part-time students. The Army Reserve has three main roles:
- Provide the framework for mobilization or expansion by using existing Reserve units framework should the nation ever need to respond to a large crisis or an emergency
- Connect with Canadians by strengthening the ties the Canadian Army Reserve has with local communities
- Augment the full-time Army by providing soldiers, units or specialists.
The Army Reserve is progressively more active than it has been in years with an increased operational role in the Canadian contribution towards the maintenance of peace and stability in the world.
To apply you must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:
- Canadian Citizen 16 years of age (with parental consent)
- Minimum Grade 10 education (or higher depending on entry plan)
For more information call 1-866-GO-2-ARMY or email email@example.com.
For information about the Canadian Armed Forces or to apply online visit FORCES.CA.
- Commanding Officer: Lieutenant-Colonel P.E. Davies
- Sergeant Major: Master Warrant Officer Sean C. Fisher
38 CER was organized by Canadian Forces Organization Order 6697 on December 2, 2011, and officially stood-up on parade April 14, 2012. Prior to this official unit formation and since 2006, a combat engineer capability was being incubated in Winnipeg under the Fort Garry Horse.
These sappers in an armoured recce unit were unique as the only “
black hat sappers" in the Canadian Armed Forces. More recently the North Saskatchewan Regiment began cultivating a combat engineer capability in Saskatoon.
We use the following equipment: Medium Support Vehicle System (MSVS), Dump Truck, Backhoe, Logistical Support Vehicle (LSVW) and Milcot. For information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army visit our Equipment page.
38 Combat Engineer Regiment
Sgt Hugh Cairns VC Armoury
930 Idylwyld Dr N
- Date modified: