For DND Military Members, please access the FFOM site through the DWAN.
Fort Frontenac occupies a site of national historic significance, as it is one of the earliest sites of permanent European habitation in Ontario. The Fort is strategically located at a strategic crossroads of three major waterways, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River and later, the Rideau Canal. The Fort and the ships based in its harbour were intended to control all east-west and north-south traffic to eastern North America. In 1673, under Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac and Governor of New France, the French built the original Fort Frontenac that consisted of palisades, earthworks and log buildings. Under the first Commandant, Robert Cavalier Sieur de LaSalle, the Fort was improved with stone walls and bastions, and was used as a base for explorations to the interior of the continent. In 1758, under Lieutenant Colonel John Bradstreet of the 60th Royal Americans, the British captured the Fort and destroyed the French ships in the harbour. They took over the Fort permanently after the capitulation of New France in 1760. The Fort was a vital outpost in the War of 1812. Kingston's strategic importance increased when the south shore of the St. Lawrence River was ceded to the Americans.
Many of the current buildings, including the Officers' Mess and the barrack blocks, were constructed in the period of 1821 to 1824. The Fort Frontenac Officers' Mess is located in the LaSalle Block, named after the Fort's first Commandant. For most of its life, the LaSalle Block has provided accommodation and messing for Officers.
Fort Frontenac has contributed significantly to the development of the City of Kingston and the economic growth of Eastern Ontario. Since 1947, it has been the home of the Canadian Army Staff College, which is now known as the Canadian Land Force Command and Staff College.