The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment
1820 King Avenue
This unit is an Infantry Battalion with the Regimental Headquarters in Bathurst, NB. It has four companies. The Regimental HQ and 1 Coy are located in Bathurst, NB with a company each in Moncton, Miramichi City and Campbellton, NB. Lieutenant-Colonel Stephen Bass currently commands the unit.
We are a Reserve Infantry battalion.
Thursday evenings (7-10 pm), and selected weekends.
1-877-5-GO ARMY Ext 2
The history of The NS (NB) R, can be traced as far back as February 25, 1870 when the 73rd Northumberland ( New Brunswick) Battalion of Infantry was enrolled under the Dominion Militia Act of 1868. During World War One, the 73rd Northumberland Regiment augmented the 12th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in 1914. The Unit also supported both the 132nd ( North Shore) Battalion CEF and the 165th (Acadian) Battalion CEF. All three of these CEF Battalions went overseas to England and served in various capacities in France and Flanders.
It was during the post war reorganization that the Unit was redesignated as the Northumberland ( New Brunswick) Regiment. This happened on April 1st, 1920. Two years later, the unit was redesignated as the North Shore (N.B.) Regiment.
The North Shore ( New Brunswick) Regiment became a unit of the Canadian Active Service Force (CASF) on May 24th, 1940 and embarked for overseas service on July 18th, 1941. The unit landed in Normandy on June 6th, 1944 as part of the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and fought throughout Northwestern Europe. The brave members of both the 73rd Northumberland Regiment and the North Shore ( New Brunswick) Regiment distinguished themselves time and time again during battle as is evident by the number of battle honors that emblaze our Unit Colors.
The 2 nd Battalion New Brunswick Regiment came into existence on September 30, 1954 with the amalgamation of the North Shore ( New Brunswick) Regiment and the 28th Field Artillery Battery. In 1956, The Unit was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment ( North Shore).
Currently, 2RNBR (NS) fills the role as a light infantry battalion. It is comprised of three rifle companies and a Battalion Headquarters. These companies are located in Campbellton, Bathurst, and Miramichi, with Headquarters collocated with B Company in Bathurst. The Unit currently services an area that includes the entire eastern half of New Brunswick from Campbellton to Moncton.
As well, 2RNBR (NS) is the only officially bilingual unit in LFAA. This is easily identifiable by the unit’s membership demographic which encompasses franco, anglo and bilingual members.
The Unit’s has two mottos: “Spem Reduxit” which is primarily associated with the Royal New Brunswick Regiment, and “Pro Jure Constans” which is affiliated with the North Shore (NB) Regiment. The unit celebrates its’ heritage annually by parading the weekend closes to the 6th of June, D Day. Recently, this endeavor has been highlighted by our support of the North Shore Veterans Association when they hold their annual reunion. Both events have helped enhance our heritage and provided a more real sense of purpose for all soldiers of 2 RNBR (NS).
The Unit’s adopted March Past “The Ol’ Nor’ Shore” was first penned by one of its’ own, Corporal Howie Aubie. Cpl Aubie was later killed in action. The words of the “The Ol’ Nor’ Shore” truly reflect the nature and courage of the men who fought with the North Shore Regiment during World War 2.
In June 2012, the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, restored the name of The North Shore ( New Brunswick) Regiment.
The following battle honours have been authorized for emblazonment on the Regimental Colour:
Other battle honours which the Regiment holds for various battles and engagements are: